Is white spruce toxic to dogs? What is white spruce Care Christmas tree safety Christmas plants toxic and non-toxic to dogs
Is white spruce toxic to dogs?
White spruce (Picea glauca) is non-toxic to dogs and is safe to keep in homes with pets as long as precautions are taken. Large ingestions of white spruce needles can cause gastrointestinal upset.
What is white spruce?
|Family||Pinaceae – Pine|
|Botanical name||Picea glauca, Picea alba|
|Common names||White spruce, Black hills spruce, Canadian spruce|
|Popular cultivars||‘Pendula’, ‘Echiniformis’, ‘Conica’, ‘Alberta grove’|
|Mature height||15 x 5 metres|
|Scent||Mild pine fragrance with a slight earthy tone|
|Native to||North America|
|Toxicity||Non-toxic to cats|
White spruce (Picea glauca) is a coniferous evergreen native to the United States and Canada. The compact conical shape and short blue-green needles make white spruce a popular choice. The waxy needles have a waxy white coating (hence the name glauca, which means shimmering), and are quite sharp. As a plus, this is likely to deter dogs from chewing the tree.
White spruce is an important commercial tree in Canada, primarily grown for pulpwood.
White spruce can grow indoors or in the garden, making a great windbreak and providing a habitat for birds. Grow in full sun to part shade and fertilise every 2 – 3 months during the active growing season.
Christmas tree safety
While white spruce is non-toxic, care must be taken in homes with pets.
- Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights when you are not around to supervise your pet.
- Secure the tree to a wall using fishing wire to prevent it from being knocked over.
- Do not place edible decorations on the tree.
- Avoid the use of angel hair tinsel, the long threads can cause telescoping of the intestines if ingested.
- Be careful with water preservers which are toxic to dogs. If you do use them, ensure that the water dish is properly covered to stop dogs from drinking from it.
- Place breakable decorations high on the tree and non-breakables at the bottom.
- Do not use decorations or lights which use button batteries which are deadly if ingested. Button batteries are not only a choking hazard but can burn a hole in the esophagus by isothermic hydrolysis.
Christmas plants toxic and non-toxic to dogs
|Norway spruce||Picea abies||Non-toxic|
|Blue spruce||Picea pungens||Non-toxic|
|Serbian spruce||Picea omorika||Non-toxic|
|White spruce||Picea glauca||Non-toxic|
|Nordmann fir||Abies nordmanniana||Non-toxic|
|Fraser fir||Abies fraseri||Non-toxic|
|Douglas fir||Pseudotsuga menziesii||Non-toxic|
|Noble fir||Abies procera||Non-toxic|
|Balsam fir||Abies balsamea||Non-toxic|
|Grand fir||Abies grandis||Non-toxic|
|Scotch pine||Pinus sylvestris||No information available|
|White pine||Pinus strobus||No information available|
|Virginian pine||Pinus virginiana||Toxic|
|Norfolk Island pine, house pine||Araucaria heterophylla||Non-toxic|