Is Mistletoe Toxic to Dogs?

Is mistletoe toxic to dogs?

Mistletoe (American and European) is toxic to dogs. The toxic properties are viscumin and lectins – (V. album), and toxalbumin, pharatoxin, viscumin – (P. serotinum), which can cause gastrointestinal upset, low blood pressure and low heart rate. What is mistletoe? Botanical name Phoradendron serotinum (North American) and Viscum album (European) Common names Mistletoe, English mistletoe, … Read more

Christmas Plants and Their Toxicity to Dogs

Christmas plants toxic and non-toxic to dogs

Christmas plants and pets

During the Christmas period, many homes are decorated with plants. Knowing which ones are safe and which ones are potentially dangerous can save pet owners an emergency trip to the veterinarian. This list includes some of the most common Christmas plants and includes the toxic properties.

Although many of the plants are labelled non-toxic, ingestion of large amounts of any plant matter can cause gastrointestinal upset.

Read more

Is Fiddle-Leaf Fig (Ficus lyrata) Toxic to Dogs?

Is fiddle-leaf fig toxic to dogs?

Fiddle-leaf fig (Ficus lyrata) is toxic to dogs. The toxic principles are ficin and ficusin, which are present in the milky sap. This causes ocular, oral, dermal and gastrointestinal irritation. There are unverified reports that fiddle-leaf fig also contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, however, there are no verified sources and it appears more likely that writers are confusing fiddle-leaf fig (Ficus lyrata) with fiddleleaf philodendron (Philodendron bipennifolium), which does contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals.

Read more